October 29, 2008
October 27, 2008
Criteria for selection of these creepy movies were the creation of a sense of panic, nightmares, claustrophobia, repulsion, and irritability.
Here is a list of 22 of the creepiest films I've seen - in no apparent order.
- Hellraiser 1987
- The Descent
- Wicker Man 1973
- Rosemary's Baby
- Donny Darko
- The Birds
- Halloween 1978
- The Hills Have Eyes
- Gaslight 1944
- The Haunting 1963
- American Werewolf in London
- Gothic 1986
- Carrie 1976
- Creature from the Black Lagoon 1954
- The Blair Witch Project
- The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1974
- The Boys from Brazil 1978
- Children of the Damned 1963
- The Shining
October 24, 2008
When you're living in a 620 sq ft apartment there is no price tag on good decorating.
There are stimulating decorating prospects all around you if you just take the time to look for them.
The importance of establishing the appropriate mood is paramount so why not start in the bedroom. Walls take up more space than any other single element in a room so use them to enhance it.
The eclectic look above was achieved by gluing strips of rough sawn cedar and mirror to the wall.
What you need:
- various lengths of cedar or fir - 1x6s and 2x6s in 24, 36 and 48 inch lengths
- four six inch wide mirror strips in lengths of 24, 29, and 39 inches.
- glue for the wood
- adhesive for the mirror
The boards shown here are painted white to play up the white-on-white look but you can also stain them or leave them natural. I'd like to see it done in black.
If you enjoyed this post you may like my post on how to make a cool light here.
October 23, 2008
I'm noticing a return of the cigar. Could it be that 'e' word that's plaguing the news lately? Are we cashing out and lighting up?
Here are 10 cigar subjects to share over your next puff:
1. 120 year old Swiss cigar house Villiger sold 600 million cigars in 2007 worth a total $148 million.
2. Don't use your Zippo to light your cigar. Use wooden matches or cedar spills. Your sentimental Zippo will leave its lighter fluid taste and odor on the cigar.
3. Cigar houses are encouraging politicians and media 'not to accept at face value the facts being served up to them day by day by the highly organized lobby (the WHO and EU).' as efforts to create a 'smoke free society' continue. Heinrich Villiger
4. Puff not toke
5. Cigar bands are popular collectors' items.
6. Cigarillos are popular among hipsters, Europeans and some aficionados yet scorned by others.
7. A 5-inch cigar should smoke for 20 - 30 minutes. A 7.5 inch cigar may last for over an hour.
8. A cigar is done when you've finished enjoying it.
9. Sugar occurs naturally in tobacco. Darker wrappers contain more sugar.
10. Sudlaj Napoles, the second woman in history, won the title of Champion Cigar Sommelier at the International Cuban Cigar Festival in Havana this past February.
source: moodie report, cigar clan, simply cigars, cigar aficionado
ebony wooden match holder
October 22, 2008
If your job or educational activities are such that you need to carry a bag about town try to make it as unman purse as you can.
Here are ten city bags that may get you carried away:
2. Jas M.B.
5. Ally Capellino
8. Ally Cappellino
10. Cole Haan
If you enjoyed this post you may enjoy my post on 'How to Wear a Scarf'.
October 21, 2008
October 18, 2008
1. The classic - useful in front of a picture or large window
2. For a long narrow space
3. The right angle creates its own domain in a small space
4. Practical for a larger living space
5. Smaller cocktail tables give a lighter look
6. Works well in large open plans or a fairly small room
7. An optional arrangement for smaller spaces
8. An arrangement for a room too small for a full sized sofa
October 17, 2008
October 16, 2008
Choosing a watch is like choosing lingerie. There are certain criteria that must be met.
1. sexy yet practical
2. stylish yet comfortable
3. intriguing yet specific
4. appropriate yet adaptable
5. sophisticated yet crude
Here are my 7 top drawer pics for watches:
1. Franklin Weisz
at MoMA online
2. Bulgari Calibrio
at Bulgari online
at Tokyo Flash
4. Lip LCD
at GPL Ltd. online
5. Rolex Oyster Perpetual
at fine jewelers
6. Movado Museum
at fine jewelers
7. Nooka Mirror Mesh
at Nooka online
October 15, 2008
My husband has been looking for a new hat since a rainy, windy visit to San Francisco this past February. I didn't think it would be so difficult - somewhat reminisce of me looking for jeans.
Here are 12 reviews of what he's tried:
1. Paul Smith
3. Irish Walking Hat
4. Fiddler's Hat
6. no explanation
12. Jackie Stewart circa 1973
If you enjoyed the post please spread the love.
October 13, 2008
From the don't you wish you thought of that file comes the Gran Khan sofa. The sofa, designed by Francesco Binfaré and manufactured by Edra, consists of a luxuriously soft leather hide with uncut edges resting atop a 118" x 43" Gellyfoam frame.
You may remember the white plastic garden chair from the June don't you wish you thought of that file.
October 8, 2008
Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months. Oscar Wilde - one of literature's most fashionable scribes
So if your fashion inspiration is as done as the Fall leaves try these inspirational icons on for size:
1. Marilyn Monroe
Can a turtleneck look sexier?
2. Melissa Auf der Maur
Leggings and Frogging
3. Janis Joplin
Velvet, lace and layers of jewels - very Givenchy
4. Greta Garbo
5. Jill Kennington
The Leather Trench
6. Marianne Faithful
The Maxi Coat and Clutch
7. Sophia Loren
Winter Beach Hair
8. Brit Ekland
The Baby Doll and Loafer
9. Debbie Harry
If you enjoyed the post please spread the love.
October 2, 2008
YSL Uptown Seventies Chic
photo decades1. Yves Saint Laurent investment opportunity - collectors are abuzz with the YSL treasures to be found at the Manhattan Vintage Clothing Show - bring cash for the most negotiating power and go for the 70's stuff (Oct. 10 - Oct. 11).
2. Something unseen was seducing you - "Gothic: Dark Glamour" at the Fashion Institute of Technology - expect Givenchy, Eiko Ishioka's gowns from 1992's Bram Stoker's Dracula, Alexander McQueen, Thierry Mugler and John Galliano.
Babar being shot at
3. A childhood friend was in town - Babar - you haven't forgotten your favourite pachyderm have you? "Drawing Babar: Early Drafts and Watercolors" at the Morgan Library & Museum
Nooka Zoo watch
4. You had to buy a watch at the MoMA Store - MoMA has some of the best designs available under one roof.
Installation at the Met's Superhero exhibit
5. Superman needed you - "Superheroes: Fashion and Fantasy" at the Met
Gramercy Park Hotel
6. You were entertaining business clients for lunch - Gramercy Park Hotel roof top patio
Adbusters issue 79
7. You had to see an authentic 'hipster beard' with your own eyes (I prefer the hipster mustache) - any coffee shop in Brooklyn