When She Came There The Cupboard Was Bare
You remember that guy back in 2002 that survived a week trapped in his car living off fast food condiments found in his glove box right?
This is my go to recipe when I have no food in the house. It's similar to my Leningrad Stew that I lived off when I was very, very short on money and unemployed. I remember having to stretch $10 in grocery money over a week (thankfully, it was just me). You can buy a lot of rice, beans and nearly rotten vegetables for $10.
What you need:
- 1 can mixed beans
- juice of half a lemon
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- salt and pepper to your liking
- plus any veg you may have around - I use cucumber and celery
- for extra protein add one hard boiled egg and some crumbled feta
- rinse beans until all the bubbly foam stuff is off
- combine oil, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl
- add beans
- toss until all the beans are well covered
- add optional veg and toss again
- let marinate for a few hours if you have time
- serve at room temperature topped with cheese, hard boiled egg, tomatoes - whatever
- keep some fresh sour dough bread on hand to soak up the saucy goodness left over
Adapted from Moosewood Cookbook - my all time favourite cookbook!
Keep your pantry well stocked with various varieties of beans, vinegar, olive oil and lemon juice - you'd be surprised at how many different recipes you can come up with.