Macaroni and Cheese
What you need:
- 1/2 lb. (approx. 3 cups) dry pasta ~ a short substantial shape, like fusilli, macaroni, penne, or 1 inch shells
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 cups low fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or plain yogurt
- 2 cups (packed) grated cheddar
- 1/2 cup (packed) grated asiago
- 1/2 cup cooked fish ~ tuna, salmon, halibut
- 1 bunch fresh spinach
- 1/4 lb. mushrooms, sliced
- a handful of sunflower seeds
How to do it:
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Cook the pasta until just barely tender (about 7 minutes). Drain thoroughly, and transfer to a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet and add the onions. After sautéing for about 5 minutes, add the garlic (and optional mushrooms). Stir, cover, and cook about 5 minutes. Stir in optional spinach if desired, and remove from heat. Add to the pasta.
- Stir in cottage cheese, buttermilk (yogurt), asiago, nutmeg, oregano, black pepper, half the cheddar and optional fish. Taste to adjust seasonings, and spread into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with the remaining cheddar. Sprinkle with a touch more nutmeg and optional sunflower seeds, and bake uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes, or until heated through.