images 1 & 2 Dolce and Gabbana @ style.com - note the length of the tie and fit of the shirt, including the sleeve length
image 3 - the loosened tie makes him look drunk but at least his shirt fits him.
doesn't mean you look 'professional'. You can actually come across looking sloppier than you would without one. If you're going to make the effort to look 'professional' by throwing on a tie please take the time to make sure the whole package comes across as 'professional' - meaning that your clothes fit you.
- get a shirt that fits - which means one you didn't buy at Joe's Tent and Awning or Costco.
- go for a collar that flatters your bone structure (see my post on collar styles).
- your tie looks best if it touches just the top of the waist on your trousers (see photo).
- thoughts on undershirts under white shirts (see photo)? They creep me out but that's just me.
- pant hems are more important than you think (see my post on hems).