How To Wallpaper with Newspaper
How to wallpaper with newspaper and other stuff.
- Glossy polymer medium
- sponge brush
- your selection of papers, magazines or other ephemera
- (optional) glossy water based polyurethane (clear or tinted)
The polyurethane can be omitted. However, it gives a protective glossy coating.
**If you do decide to use polyurethane make sure it's water based or it will smear and run the print and the picture from the other side will show through.
The polymer medium can be used as an under coat and as a final coat.
- Cut the strips of paper you want to use and turn them face down on a work surface.
- Apply polymer medium with a sponge brush to the surface. Do only a small section because it dries quickly.
- Place the strips of paper on the wet surface and press down.
- Coat it lightly with the medium; if foam forms on the paper it will not dry clear.
- Continue to cover the surface this way, overlap the edges and corners as you continue to make the collage.
7. Once both sides have a coating of the polymer medium applied to them they are sealed and regular water based polyurethane varnish can be applied on top. The polymer medium is used as a gluing agent as well as a sealer for the paper.
8. (optional) With a paint brush, coat all surfaces with glossy water based polyurethane. This gives the paper a hard protective finish. It takes 24 hours to dry and must be painted on evenly in one direction.
9. If you decided to omit the polyurethane finish the surface will require several coats of polymer medium to give it a final finish. This dries within fifteen to twenty minutes. The finish will not be as smooth as the polyurethane and will turn white if anything wet touches it for a prolonged period of time. Other than that the finish is extremely durable.
Here is an old dresser I did using the same technique:
We grabbed this trashed side table, raided the free newspapers, picked up some sponge brushes at the dollar store and invested in some polymer medium at our favourite art store. Total cost $14.50.
the instructions on how to do it.
How To Accessorize Your Home Successfully
How To Make An Industrial Chic Table
Top 9 Interiors Trends
8 Tips For A Living Room Layout