It's your party and your guests are your responsibility. Be attentive and don't get drunk yourself. There are a few things you can do to try and curtail the guest that over drinks:
- You should mix your guests' drinks.
- If a guest proceeds to the bar to make his/her own drink go with them and ask them to grab the ice, mix or whatever while you pour the drink.
- Avoid having more than one bottle of liquor visible.
- Make it obvious you use a jigger to pour drinks and hand it to your guest before he/she pours their own.
- When it is obvious a guest has had too much to drink don't offer him/her any more. 50% of the time they'll get mad. There will always be someone there to assist you in dealing with them. They usually get embarrassed then sit down and be quiet.
- If your guest has drank so much that he/she is going to pass out have two or three other guests assist you in taking them to a bed to sleep it off overnight. If they have a spouse or guest with them offer them accommodation as well or offer them a safe ride home.
- Always have coffee, tea, soft drinks, water or juice available.
- You are responsible and liable for your guests. You are responsible for seeing that a drunk guest is taken home. Ask a good friend, take him/her yourself if they live nearby, or call a cab, give directions and pay for it. I've been to some parties where it's mandatory for you to drop your keys in a bowl before you're allowed to enter.
- Don't invite people over who are unable to control their liquor